When thinking of questions you should ask during a memory care tour program, costs and services might be the first thing you think of. While those are definitely important, memory care communities offer a wide range of services. We’ve put together a checklist of some important questions that you and your loved one can ask during your tour of a memory care community. You can ask these questions to the team members on the ground or the other families whose loved ones reside there. Assessing the answers to these questions can help you determine if that particular community is the right fit for your loved one.
Questions to Ask
- What level of care does the community provide? Typically, memory care communities are prepared to care for most memory loss diagnoses such as dementia, but it’s always best to clarify the extent of care that a particular community provides.
- What type of training has the team received? You’ll want to ensure that the team at the memory care community is seasoned and able to perform their duties compassionately and professionally.
- What is the rate for housing and care, and what services are included in this rate? Most memory care programs charge by the month.
- How are the rooms laid out? What level of privacy can my loved one expect? Take a look at the floorplan for Spring Mill’s SHINE® Memory Care program to find out more about memory care at Spring Mill.
- What meals are provided, and can special dietary requests be accommodated? Ensure that the community has a variety of choices, prepares their meals with fresh and healthy ingredients, and can accommodate various dietary restrictions.
- What programs does the community offer? Find out about the exercise, physical therapy and social programs offered at the community to see if they’ll be a good fit for your loved one.
- Does the community accommodate special care needs, such as wandering, mobility issues or diabetic care? If your loved one has any particular needs, this would be a good opportunity to clarify how the memory care program that you’re exploring would navigate them.
- How often are services such as housekeeping and laundry provided? Ensure that these services are consistent and prompt.
- What is the ratio of team members to residents during the day and night? This question might not initially cross your mind, but it is important to determine the care response that your loved one can receive at all times of the day.
- How will the program communicate a resident’s well-being to their families? It’s important that both you and your loved one know exactly how the lines of communication between the both of you will work so as to cut down on worry and confusion. Make sure that this is clearly explained by the memory care program you’re exploring. It might be a good idea to speak to families of loved ones residing there as well.
- What is the discharge policy? This can vary from community to community, so be sure to check it out.
Whatever doubts or questions you have, the tour of the memory care community is a great opportunity to clarify them.
Here at Spring Mill, we offer high-quality Personal Care and SHINE® Memory Care. Schedule a tour today to find out more!