One form of therapy that is increasing in popularity nowadays is art therapy. Art therapy has been shown to offer physical and mental benefits for older adults. This is important as art therapy can help older adults mitigate cognitive conditions like dementia and so on. Best of all, art therapy sessions can be fun to take part in, and they offer a way for your loved ones to bond and socialize with others too! Let us provide some insights into the benefits of art therapy for your loved ones.
What Is Art Therapy?
Art therapy is a form of therapy used to stimulate the mind and body using artistic forms. It is one of the more effective forms of therapy used for people who have cognitive conditions, like Alzheimer’s disease and so on. Artistic forms are used as a way of communication for people who have cognitive conditions because their verbal speech could be limited by bodily changes or physical conditions. As a sensory and visual way of communication, art therapy is highly effective for your loved ones who may be fighting depression and experiencing stress, by helping them express their emotions.
There are various forms of art therapy, such as dancing, drawing, painting, and so on. Art therapy uses the creative process to help your loved ones express themselves, find personal insight, and develop coping skills.
Benefits of Art Therapy
Various benefits of art therapy will go a long way to help your loved ones live a life of dignity and purpose during their golden years.
- Art therapy can boost cognitive function. This is essential as your loved ones may have lost their memories due to Alzheimer’s disease. Art therapy can help your loved ones search for memories that are forgotten.
- Art therapy can help your loved ones cope with traumatic experiences by expressing themselves artistically.
- Art therapy helps your loved ones to find fulfillment and accomplishment as they learn to create something on their own. As your loved ones may be restricted physically due to mobility issues, they may feel useless. Art therapy helps your loved ones find back their dignity without compromising their physical health and ability.
- Art therapy helps restore some physical functions as it improves dexterity, helping your loved ones to retain some psychomotor skills in their hands. This also further boosts their self-confidence.
- Art therapy is also helpful in promoting communication for your loved ones. As your loved ones may have difficulty expressing themselves linguistically, using artistic and creative ways may help to express their personality and emotions.
Let Spring Mill Care for Your Loved Ones
At Spring Mill By Discovery Senior Living, we are proud to offer the SHINE® Memory Care program. The goal of this program is to guide your loved ones through a journey of exploration in various aspects of their lives, such as dining experiences, life enhancement, and more. Our nurses and certified nurse assistants have gone through specialized training and continue to receive training in memory care diseases.
We also have a full-time activities director who plans a wide array of fun activities to help your loved ones discover independence, confidence, and self-esteem in their golden years. Contact us to find out more!