As we age, it’s common for individuals to stay in the comfort and safety of their homes. However, extended periods at home, especially for older adults living alone, can lead to loneliness and isolation. If your elderly loved one prefers staying indoors but is craving a more active social life, why not recommend a few online games for seniors?
How Online Games for Seniors Can Tackle Loneliness
Numerous online games are designed to offer opportunities for older individuals to engage with one another, potentially expanding their social circle. By keeping an active social life, depression and other forms of mental illness are more likely to be kept at bay. For those with mobility constraints who spend most of their days at home, advancements in technology can help in reducing social isolation. Online multiplayer games can allow older adults to connect with one another, regardless of where they live. It is a great alternative for a more socially active lifestyle if one is unable to regularly engage in physical social activities.
Recommending Online Games for Seniors
Plenty of exciting online games exist online for your elderly loved one to enjoy, and don’t worry – there is something that suits everyone. If your loved one is pickier than usual when it comes to entertainment and games, all you have to do is expose them to a wider array of options to choose from. Here are a few places you can start:
- Heads Up – This is a game that is typically played in person, but we recommend it because it is so easy to play even on video calls. All you have to do is download the application on your device and call up a few friends or family members to play with.
- Words with Friends – Similar to Scrabble, you can invite people you know in real life to challenge in a few rounds, or you can choose to play with strangers. There is never a shortage of players since this game is widely popular.
- Minecraft – Popular among the youth, this game allows you to create and explore your own unique worlds. It’s a great game to play with your grandchildren or if you want to experience something new.
Considerations When Playing Online Games for Seniors
If you grew up dialing a rotary telephone, it’s normal if you feel confused or overwhelmed when navigating the internet. Most importantly, equipping yourself with the knowledge of internet safety can save lives and prevent any frauds or scams from taking place. Here are the most important tips for older adults using the internet and playing online games:
- Create a username for yourself instead of using your real name.
- Never share your passwords or any personal information over the internet.
- Between games, give your eyes a break and perform some stretches to avoid body aches from sitting in place for too long.
Why Choose Discovery Village At Spring Mill?
At Discovery Village At Spring Mill, we offer a wide array of recreational activities designed to mentally, physically, and socially stimulate your loved one’s minds. You can expect amenities of the highest quality, as well as a warm and welcoming community when you stay with us.
If you have any inquiries about our range of services, do not hesitate to contact us today.