Studies have shown that being around others and socializing makes people feel fulfilled and happy. As close friends pass away or move, loneliness can set in for many older adults. Forging new friendships and meeting other retirees can be difficult. Some people simply give up on socializing as a result.
The truth is, there are many opportunities and places for socialization. Even if, every day, just for a few hours, your loved ones socialized, they would be less stressed, less depressed, healthier, and happier than those who don’t socialize. Yet, to meet others their age, some retirees still find it challenging, despite the benefits. They just don’t know how to go about it or where to go.
There are many places to go and things to do for socializing of some sort.
Opportunities for Getting Together with Others
The following are just a sampling of the many places and/or opportunities where those in their golden years can get together with others their age and enjoy similar interests, hobbies, pursuits, etc.:
- Senior trips (for people 55 and older, many organizations or travel agencies offer day trips)
- Continuing education classes (gardening, cooking, ceramics, painting, etc.)
- Faith-based activities (church choirs, Bible studies)
- Volunteering (food pantries, libraries, animal shelters, local parks, etc.)
- Social media (Facebook, as an example)
- Fitness classes for older adults (water aerobics, cycling, lightweight training, Pilates, yoga, etc.)
- Community centers for retirees (enjoy a cup of coffee, play cards, exercise, take classes or go to sponsored movies, cookouts, dances, parties, and more)
- Senior living community events
Socialization in the Golden Years
It’s important that your loved ones find places to go and things to do where they can meet and socialize with others their age. While hanging out with family is always nice, of course, your loved ones also need to be with people who have numerous other things in common with them.
Many opportunities for socializing were hampered by the coronavirus, but are slowly reopening and being reestablished. Be sure that you encourage your loved ones to wear masks and take all other precautions against infection while they are out and about, or when others visit them.
Lots of Opportunities for Socialization at Spring Mill
Between our Dimensions Wellness, Sensations Dining, and Celebrations Activities programs here at Spring Mill, your loved ones will have more than ample opportunity to socialize as they choose. If they only want to enjoy the company of others at mealtimes, but generally prefer their privacy and do a little reading during other times of the day, there are three delicious and nutritious meals during which they can socialize. But, it would be a shame to miss out on all the activities sponsored through our Celebrations program.
We also try to make sure that all our residents enjoy a healthy mind and body courtesy of our Dimensions wellness program. Whatever interests or hobbies mean the most to your loved ones, they can feel free to immerse themselves.
Contact us if you have any questions or, better yet, schedule a tour.